I’m always a little but dubious about free patterns from magazines – I suppose in case they aren’t as good quality as bought ones in terms of styling and fit. But when I saw the free Gabrielle jacket pattern from Sew magazine I decided to break my own rules and give it a go.
And I’m actually pleased I did. It was a quick, easy make – perfect as a first entry into jackets for sewers with a little experience.
The pattern calls for a boucle fabric, and requires you to cut strips which are then frayed and applied to the edges of the jacket. But the instructions are straightforward, and the garment comes together pretty easily.
I deviated from the pattern a little, by making it longer and omitting the pockets. I also added a dart into the front, as I found the longer length made it look a little baggy.
The lining went in easily, and the only real problem I encountered was sewing the jacket and lining together at the cuffs – the lining on one sleeve on particular seems a little bit tight so I might adjust it if I can be bothered to unpick it!
The sizing seems fairly accurate. I used a multicoloured boucle that was in my stash and I only needed a small amount – about 1.2m. The lining isn’t a great match but again I already had it in. The boucle shed like mad so make sure you have a vacuum to hand!
Lessons learnt – if I made this again I’d probably use some light interface to stiffen the front and make it less ‘floppy’. And I’m not entirely sure how well the lengthening/darts combo has worked so I’d like to try it in the original length. But all in all a very wearable first attempt at a jacket.