Burda cowl dress

burda1

With winter well underway, I was keen to add to my cold weather wardrobe. Having worn dresses and skirts all summer, I’m struggling with the feeling of being constrained in unforgiving denim so I decided a stretch dress would be ideal.

Id already seen this Burda pattern for a cowl neck dress in woven fabric on several blogs, and noticed a version in a knit, so decided to do the same, obviously omitting the zip.

Not I’ve not made any Burda patterns before, but to me the sizing seemed huge. I measured myself and cut out a fairly large size – bearing in mind that there was no seam allowance. I thought the stretch element of the fabric would offset that but I ended up taking it in a huge amount, and later recut the pattern to pretty much the smallest size!

Anyway, it’s a really easy pattern with impressive results, if you ignore the size issue. Just four main pieces plus a facing. There is some easy-to-do ruching on one side of the waist which gives a flattering fit across the stomach.

The instructions call for the front to be cut on the bias, but after reading several blog posts I followed their suggestions to ignore this and cut it on the straight grain. Because the cowl is grown on, it makes the cowl on the bias instead and seem to be more sensible.

I used a tartan check ponte which was just £5.99 from this shop on Ebay – I needed 2 metres. For once I basted first, as stretch stitch is very hard to unpick so I’m glad I took the time to do this. It all went together really easily. If I make this again, which I’m sure I will, I might use a slightly more fluid fabric so that the cowl falls into place a little easier, although its not a huge problem.

Here it is!

2 Comments

Add Yours

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *